MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE FOUNDER OF Voice Lessons Liverpool BARRY WEBB
Singing has been part of my life since childhood. I sang as a boy in Oxford as a chorister. After my voice broke, my voice did not settle and so I studied violin, keeping singing as a second study. But then singing again took over, and study commenced at the RNCM in Manchester, followed by the RSC in Glasgow, two of the top music colleges in the World.
The journey for me as a singer has been worth it. There have been various vocal problems that have taken me time to sort out, but I have been able to take the teaching of my 12 former teachers and discover a formula which enables me to sing with ease, and pure tone. I am singing better these days than ever. I transfer the knowledge of my journey to my pupils.
I studied singing at the RNCM in Manchester (the performance as Guillot in Manon as a student here.)
Manon RNCM 1987 Act 1 Scene 1.
I have just had digitalised the performance of me as Guillot in Manon (first voice heard on stage) as a student at the RNCM in 1987. Some great friends and voices were in that show. Simon Keenlyside, Sally Harrison, Kate Witney, etc!! I went on as a last minute understudy; those were the days!
Click on the picture of the record I made privately as a treble on 1st January 1970. I had no training.
I was a student at the Royal Scottish Conservatoire (then RSAMD). See the clip on the Home page.
Mozart and Salieri RSAMD 1990.
This was filmed by a security camera at the back of the hall, so the quality isn‘t that good. The sound track is better than the visual. I have only just has this digitalised.
I sang the role of Mozart, and this is the scene when he has just been poisoned by Salieri.
Here is a clip of me conducting a rehearsal of my opera in Liverpool in June 2018, sponsored by the Arts Council of England.
My singing has included:
- recently singing in Liverpool a series of concerts including selections of popular songs, opera and arrangements from the 40s and 50s.
- singing with the Royal Opera House, Bayreuth Festival, La Scala Milan and other International companies.
- singing with “The 'new' Three Tenors”, taking over from Russell Watson, at the World famous Hacienda night club in Manchester in cabaret evenings and in concerts on the Queen Elizabeth 2.
My singing teachers have included Alberto Remedios CBE, Joseph Ward and Barbara Robotham, all from the North West.
RECENT CONCERTS have been:
- in the Czech Republic, where I sang in a concert in November at the Frantiskovy Lazne Literary Festival.
- I appeared on Czech Radio in January 2018.
Listen to this clip of me singing live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQK1298N4-Q
AND A VIDEO OF MY CZECH CONCERT TOUR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_niSGPWTEYM
Book a lesson by clicking the button!
I am the founding Musical Director of Major Tonic, a new choir based in Liverpool. www.majortonic.com
Our motto is ‘SINGING IS GOOD FOR OUR HEALTH.‘
I conduct the Roundelay Choir in Southport and am the vocal coach for the Heswall Espressivo chorus www.espressivochorus.com .
All choirs sing modern arrangements of popular songs, and classic favourites.
RECORDINGS AND FILMS
Film Sessions in chorus ensemble have included:
- Star Wars, the Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, with the composer John Williams in attendance.
- Harry Potter, The Philosophers Stone. The Two Towers.
- Lord of the Rings. Fellowship of the Rings with Howard Shore in attendance (original session music used at Abbey Road Studios autographed to me).
- The Prince of Egypt , Hunchback of Notre Dame, As good as it gets etc.
I have appeared in recording sessions with:
Rene Fleming, Luciano Pavarotti. Bryn Terfel, Roberto Alagna, Angela Gheorghiu, and in full recordings of The Snow Queen (Paul K Joyce), The Queen Symphony (Tolga Kashif), Winter Olympics 2002 (John Williams), Fantasia 2000 (arr Peter Schickele), and Paul McCartneys Ecce Cor Meum in 2006 with the composer in attendance.
A treasured book inscribed ‘‘To Barry with best wishes from Joan Sutherland‘‘, the great Australian Soprano
Inscribed music from Howard Shore the composer, to me for my singing in the chorus for the Lord of the Rings films recordings, at Abbey Road.
THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL PERFORMANCE
This is a treasured inscription to me in a book for my singing on the sound tracks of Star Wars The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.
‘‘To Barry. With thanks and every good wish.‘‘
John Williams. Composer of the film music for Star Wars
Book a lesson!
RECORDINGS. Play below.
1. E Lucevan le Stelle. Tosca. Puccini. Live performance 2017, with me also playing the piano.
2. Nessun dorma. Turandot. Puccini. Live performance with Bloomsbury Opera Concerts in 1998. Bath Pump Room. The recording was made on a cassette tape and so is not as clear as today`s digital methods.